Senior Business Development Manager
Senior Business Development Manager
Our client’s Boston office has an opening as Senior Business Development Manager.
The Senior BD Manager performs an important leadership role implementing business development activities and setting a culture for the Firm to retain and expand legal services for existing clients and to acquire new clients. The role interacts directly with the Director of Business Development, Department and Practice Group Leaders, Partners and other team members to:
- Drive business development activities related to the department’s and practice group’s strategic plan implementation.
- Meet with and advise individual partners in key practices to develop and implement business plans. Monitor and support BD activities of those partners, including identifying targets, developing pursuit strategies and monitoring and supporting engagement efforts.
- Work with the Marketing/BD team to ensure that sales materials, pitches and proposals highlight the attributes of the firm and its key practices.
- Initiate and implement ideas to improve the department’s BD services and the firm’s business development efforts.
- Develop strategies and content and execute on targeted events, sponsorship involvement, speaking engagements and thought leadership.
- Collaborate with Recruiting and Professional Development to create and implement partner integration plans and ensure successful onboarding of lateral partners, including integration of their clients into the firm.
- Identify and prepare for prospect meetings, RFPs, and client cross-sell opportunities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a focus or concentration in communications, business, economics or marketing preferred.
- Minimum of eight years’ of progressive experience in business development/salesin professional services, with a portion of that experience being in a law firm setting.
- Experience with corporate, financing, M&A, litigation, banking or real estate practice areas is a plus.
- Experience managing a team.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Capability to work successfully with and gain respect of partners, associates, and professional staff members is a critical success factor. Other skills include:
- Excellent communication, listening, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- A positive and highly motivated customer service attitude with the ability to instill that attitude in others.
- Proven business writing portfolio experience.
- Skilled and comfortable in sales meetings and public presentations.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple tasks, set and accomplish priorities, perform work timely and efficiently, and to manage and complete projects.
- Successfully manage tight deadlines and unexpected requests.
- Works as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to manage and motivate a team of direct reports.
- A high degree of proficiency with MS Office and technology, particularly with CRM systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for most of their job duties. There is the need to frequently move around the office. There will be a moderate amount of standing,
stooping, kneeling, bending and reaching for some of their job duties. Visual requirements include reading on a computer screen as well as printed materials. A high degree of dexterity is required due to frequent use of a keyboard and telephone. Verbal and auditory requirements include the ability to communicate clearly over the telephone as well as in person. There is a low level of grasping, lifting, pushing and/or pulling of objects of less than 25 lbs.