Intellectual Property Docketing Specialist
IP Docketing Specialist
General Statement of Duties:
The IP Docket Specialist is responsible for the accurate review, entering, and processing of IP prosecution correspondence (patent, trademark, and copyright) received directly from the USPTO, UKIPO, EUIPO and foreign associates in the cloud-based docketing system.
IP Docketing Specialist must have prior IP Prosecution docketing experience of at least 3-5 years and demonstrate high attention to detail, excellent execution and communication skills, and planning skills. The person must be capable of organizing their workload, exercise independent judgment and discretion while working autonomously (seeking counsel when appropriate) and work under pressure often with competing priorities. Accurate and timely completion of responsibilities and tasks to ensure strict deadlines are adhered to and met is essential. Candidates for this position must be highly dedicated with a strict attention to detail.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for entering and tracking critical dates with respect to Patent and Trademark prosecution while determining the appropriate information to enter the docket in a timely and accurate manner; interpreting official documents and correspondence to gather necessary information for entry into CPi
- Processes and interprets incoming correspondence from the PTO, attorneys, clients and foreign associates for entering into the docket database
- Prepares timely and accurate reports, searching for and retrieving filing information from websites if/when needed to maintain the integrity of the CPi database
- Responsible for accurate review and second checking of team members work, processing and docketing all documents received from the PTO and foreign associates, as well as maintenance of IP records and related docket entries in CPi
- Regularly performs significant and recurring tasks with a high degree of priority, attention to detail and maintains follow-up on diverse activities in a timely, deadline-driven environment. Exercises good judgment in application of policies and practices in handling all prosecution matters handled by the IP Docketing Department
- Perform additional duties as requested by the IP Support Manager
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Paralegal Certificate required
- 5+ years of IP prosecution docketing experience, preferably in a law firm
- Prior experience with CPi docketing systems is key to this role
- Advanced computer, Outlook, and Microsoft Office Skills (Word and Excel)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as a strong work ethic working independently and with co-workers
- Excellent organizational skills that enable the proper management of the workload, exercising independent judgment and discretion while working autonomously under challenging time constraints with competing priorities
- Strong planning and execution and proactive in taking ownership of daily work and seeing it through to completion
- Strong attention to detail and ability to read and comprehend complex materials involving legal and technical matters; ability to accurately and thoroughly document and file information
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with attorneys, management and support staff
Supervisory Responsibility – This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment – This position operates in a professional work environment.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours – This is a full-time non-exempt position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel – No travel is expected for this position.