Business Development Manager, Senior Specialist, or Specialist – M&A
Business Development Manager – M&A
The Business Development Manager—M&A will support the Senior Business Development Manager in leading all aspects of the strategic business development and marketing efforts of the M&A practice and other relevant transactional practices and initiatives. This role will work closely with practice leaders, BD department senior management team, as well as operational teams throughout the firm to develop and execute on key initiatives and business plan objectives.
- Support the Senior M&A Manager in the execution of strategic planning priorities.
- Maintain partner, practice, industry and client plans.
- Analyze market and competitor research performed by the research team on target clients and industries.
- Conduct additional market/competitor research using various internal and external databases.
- Support cross-selling initiatives of the M&A team other departments, practice groups and teams.
- Work with the Senior M&A Manager to monitor and report client development activities
- Prepare pitches, RFPs, deal lists, brochures and other marketing materials, including drafting original content as needed.
- Maintain and update standard marketing literature for the practice group on a regular basis.
- Work alongside junior members of the team to execute legal directory submissions, league table submissions, biography updates, matter management and other routine projects.
- Oversee the planning, coordinating and implementing various client events, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5 – 7 years of experience in a successful business development or marketing role in a professional services environment
- Law-firm specific background, specifically on the Corporate/M&A side, is required
- Ability foster a team environment where ideas can be shared, questions can be asked and individuals are accountable for their own actions
- Exhibits leadership qualities and is able to inspire confidence, respect and trust across the department
- Excellent communication skills required (writing, editing, coaching and presentation skills)
- Understanding of the pressures of working in a corporate environment and demonstrate potential for working well with attorneys who have a wide range of business development goals and marketing skills
- Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities to meet time-sensitive deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously, including confidential matters
- Focused on execution and achieving measurable results through superior project and team management skills
- Well organized with a meticulous attention to detail; strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Resourceful, driven attitude with a genuine desire and energy to use a “whatever it takes” approach to ensure team success
$140,000 – $185,000. Our client offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. The firm considers a number of factors when determining compensation, including, but not limited to, education, years of experience, levels of experience, competency levels and other relevant skills and qualifications.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of the work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Business Development Specialist – M&A
Our client is looking for a stellar business development professional to help support the explosive growth of its industry-leading strategic Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) practice. The M&A Specialist is a high-impact partner-facing business development/marketing role based in New York. The M&A Specialist will work with the most prolific dealmakers, business development leadership, and business professionals throughout the firm to drive revenue and unlock additional value from the public company clients and prospects.
In this role, you will interact daily with globally recognized M&A partners who are at the forefront of today’s most sophisticated, high-value and high-stakes transactions. Together with business development leadership and firmwide operational teams, you will help shape and execute strategies that align with the firm’s strategic vision and accelerate practice growth. You will be exposed to the firm’s full capabilities as an active participant in the cross-selling, business planning, and key client and industry group initiatives. This is a unique opportunity to be engaged in the growth and strategic direction of a premier M&A practice.
- Together with the Senior Business Development Manager and Transactional Director, and business development colleagues across practices, the M&A Business Development Specialist will:
- Support the execution of strategic M&A priorities, including those specific to industries, geographies, client teams and individual partners, as well as regularly track and report on progress.
- Work with business development leadership to execute individual lawyer, transactional department and firm business development and marketing objectives.
- Work closely with the department’s embedded analysis professionals to monitor marketplace and competitive developments that impact existing and prospective clients.
- Optimize strategic cross-selling opportunities in coordination with business development colleagues throughout the firm.
- Monitor, track and report on partner client development activities.
- Collaborate with other team members to meet rolling M&A league table submission deadlines and effectively leverage firm processes to more efficiently mine data and improve data collection.
- Obtain and analyze client, prospect, competitor and market research as needed, in collaboration with the firm’s Competitive Intelligence Group.
- Conduct additional market/competitor research using various internal and external databases as needed.
- Work with the firm’s event professionals and other members of the business development department to execute details of events, sponsorships, speaking engagements and thought leadership.
- Prepare pitch materials, responses to RFPs, deal lists, brochures and other client materials for the firm’s M&A practice and collaborate on cross-practice materials as needed, including drafting original content.
- Maintain and update marketing content for the practice group on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with junior members of the business development team to execute legal directory and league table submissions, biography updates, matter management and other routine projects.
- Handle marketing and business development database updates, including practice and matter descriptions, website, biographies, mailing lists and CRM.
- Any additional responsibilities as required by management.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a successful business development or marketing role in a professional services environment focused on M&A is a requirement.
- Knowledge of M&A and Corporate Governance is also required. Capital Markets/Securities experience is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think critically, analyze data effectively and convey complex information in a simple, actionable manner.
- Ability to distill information into key, actionable takeaways.
- Focused on execution and achieving measurable results through superior project management.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing and presentation capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to support attorneys with a wide range of business development goals and marketing skills.
- Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities and meet time-sensitive deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously, including confidential matters.
- Highly organized with a meticulous attention to details.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Resourceful, driven attitude with a desire and energy to use a “whatever it takes” approach to ensure team success.
- A solid command of software applications to produce high-end, professional work product, including PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with corporate research platforms, including Bloomberg, Capital IQ, Deal Point Data, Mergermarket, Refinitiv, BoardEx and RelSci is a plus.
- Experience with InterAction or an equivalent Contact Relationship Management (CRM) system is a plus.
- This role requires interaction and collaboration with a diverse group of business professionals within the broader marketing/business development department and throughout the firm on a regular basis. The successful candidate will have exceptional attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills, a positive attitude and the ability to multitask.
- Travel may be required.
- Ability to respond to calls-to-action outside of standard business hours.
- Early mornings, after hours and weekends may be required.
The expected salary range for this position is between $110,000 and $125,000. The actual base salary offered will depend upon a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.