Senior Enterprise Messaging Engineer
Senior Enterprise Messaging Engineer
The Enterprise Messaging Engineer is part of team of professionals who architect, design, build, maintain, and support all aspects of the Firm’s enterprise messaging solutions worldwide, with focus on email and messaging, as well as archival and retention. This position supports with the full system lifecycle of enterprise messaging solutions, including participation in requirements gathering sessions, design, development, testing, deployment, support, maintenance,
and possibly retirement or replacement. The combination of technical acumen with a relentless customer focus, communication skills, and a desire to help prevent / resolve issues enables the Senior Enterprise Messaging Engineer to deliver a gold-standard experience to the Firm.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports the end-to-end management of the Firm’s enterprise messaging portfolio, inclusive of strategic planning through to operational support and maintenance.
- Supports the delivery of enterprise messaging solutions to lawyers and staff to maintain alignment with Firm requirements and objectives for internal / external global communications (e.g., email services across all platforms, archival & retention solutions).
- Supports the application and configuration of Firm policies and requirements into the Enterprise Messaging solutions, along with ongoing maintenance and support.
- Supports ongoing maintenance of the enterprise messaging technology footprint, a combination of on-premises and hosted services / solutions.
- Ensures that messaging systems are properly configured, highly available, scalable, and secure.
- Supports the enterprise messaging team to ensure that the messaging systems are compliant with all relevant regulations and standards.
- Supports day-to-day administration of enterprise messaging related systems and operational processes, including but not limited to: user account and lifecycle management across services, mailbox provisioning, archive / retention support, and mail management across devices.
- Supports the delivery of enterprise messaging operations and escalation support to function smoothly and economically with primary emphasis on business effectiveness, availability, stability, and reliability (combination of internal IT staff and 3rd party service providers).
- Actively supports the response for messaging related issues or outages, partnering with the IT Help Desk as extended, tiered support.
- Leads the development and maintenance of documentation for the messaging systems, including system architecture, design, and configuration.
- Supports continuous process development and improvement of enterprise messaging solutions, with focus on actively measuring and improving the user experience.
- Develops and executes delivery plans in close coordination with technical and non-technical stakeholders to achieve desired timelines as systems and programs are selected, purchased, installed, and/or further developed.
- Recommends and implements best practices, processes, and procedures related to all aspects of enterprise messaging.
- Stays current on trends and issues in the broader marketplace, including current and emerging technologies.
- Proactively applies quality management, change control, risk mitigation, and customer satisfaction control procedures.
- Supports with the design, testing, and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures, audits, and enhancements.
- Promotes and provides unparalleled customer service to our lawyers, staff and clients.
- Communicates complex system information and ideas effectively and efficiently technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree is preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related technical field.
- Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred (e.g., Microsoft cloud related certifications).
Knowledge & Experience
- 3+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
- Demonstrated experience improving the user experience, preferably in a Law / professional services Firm.
- Demonstrated experience in deploying solutions to a community of non-technical office workers and professionals.
- Demonstrated experience with messaging protocols (e.g., SMPTP, POP3, IMAP, MAPI).
- Experience in the lifecycle management of global, multi-tenant enterprise messaging systems, preferably with strong expertise in the hosted services (e.g., Exchange Online).
- Experience in the design and architecture of enterprise messaging systems and services, inclusive of archival and document retention capabilities.
- Experience with cloud ecosystems incorporating, applications and solutions across platforms and devices (e.g., Microsoft 365).
- Understanding of information systems management, including planning, budgeting, and implementing system integration projects.
- Understanding of messaging security and compliance requirements.
Skills & Expectations:
- Strong service orientation, and an understanding of the importance of developing effective working relationships with users and organizational stakeholders of all levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with a wide range of users with different levels of technical expertise.
- Attention to detail and accountable for delivering quality work.
- Must be highly motivated, analytical, organized, and efficient. Excellent problem solving, design, coding, and debugging skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to fulfill on-call duties for IT emergencies outside of Firm business hours.
- Based in Washington, D.C.
- Core hours of 9:00 am – 5:30pm, Monday – Friday; hybrid in-office, which will be a combination of onsite, and remote work with occasional on-call availability.
- As with all positions, it will be required to perform other duties as deemed necessary and assigned by the Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager and/or Firm Management.
- Position requires access to equipment, software, or technology that is subject to U.S. export controls. To be granted access pursuant to US Export Control laws, candidate must be either (a) a United States citizen or national; (b) a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence of the United States (i.e., “Green Card” holder); or (c) an INS-approved refugee or asylum holder who has applied for naturalization within six months of the date the individual first became eligible; and if not yet naturalized, is still actively pursuing naturalization if 2 years have passed since the date of application to be granted access pursuant to US Export Control laws. Candidates will be required to submit appropriate documentation to determine whether access can be granted before proceeding further through the application process.