Senior Business Applications Engineer
Senior Business Applications Engineer
Summary: The Senior Business Applications Engineer is responsible for delivering IT business applications and solutions to enhance critical business operations, provide the Firm with differentiating capabilities, and enable lawyer and staff effectiveness. This position takes a lead role in the full system lifecycle of business applications, including participation in requirements gathering sessions, design, development, testing, deployment, support, maintenance, and possibly retirement or replacement. The Senior Engineer directly supports the Business Applications Portfolio Manager, serving as a mentor to junior engineering staff. The combination of technical acumen with a relentless customer focus, communication skills, and a desire to help prevent / resolve issues enables the Business Applications Engineer to deliver a gold-standard experience to the Firm.
Qualifications: Education & Credentials
- College degree is strongly preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related technical discipline.
- Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
- Demonstrated experience with programming or scripting (e.g., Visual Basic, C#, .NET, Windows Powershell, T-SQL).
- Experience with integration services and solutions (e.g., SSIS, stored procedures, ETL technologies like Integration Builder).
- Demonstrated experience maintaining and supporting commercial off the shelf applications, along with the integrations that enable data exchange among them.
- Demonstrated experience managing common operating systems and database management solutions (e.g., Windows 2019 Server, SQL Server).
- Demonstrated experience in the design and architecture of critical business systems (e.g., Financial Accounting, Time & Expense Entry, Customer Relationship Management, Human Capital Management).
- Demonstrated experience with common operating systems and database management solutions (e.g., Windows 2019 Server, SQL Server).
- Experience with application toolsets and protocols (e.g., SSMS, RDP, PUTTY, SFTP, IIS).
- Familiarity with service desk systems to manage and resolved incidents (e.g., ServiceNow). Skills & Expectations
- Strong service orientation, and an understanding of the importance of developing effective working relationships with users and organizational stakeholders of all levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with a wide range of users with different levels of technical expertise.
- Attention to detail and accountable for delivering quality work.
- Must be highly motivated, analytical, organized, and efficient.
- Excellent problem solving, design, coding, and debugging skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Business Applications Portfolio Manager to deliver the full lifecycle of the Firm’s business application solutions that enable practice and support functional objectives, ranging from strategic planning through into operational support and maintenance.
- Participates in strategic roadmapping for the Firm’s business applications portfolio of solutions and services, maintaining close partnership with the Firm’s functional leaders, IT leadership, and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Leads the translation of business requirements into system design plans, incorporating system specifications, application architecture, data import / export functions, conversion issues, reports, and other functions.
- Defines, designs, codes / configures, tests, debugs, implements, and supports complex, object-oriented, multi-tier distributed software applications.
- Develops code and/or configuration in accordance with technical designs and to standards set by the Business Applications Portfolio Manager and architect leads.
- Provides technical leadership on business application projects.
- Supports mission-critical systems and IT business applications as assigned.
- Creates and maintains documentation for all aspects of software implementation, including timelines, system schematics and diagrams, business recovery procedures, and user documentation.
- Troubleshoots problems and delivers practical solutions.
- Evaluates and implements software upgrades and patches in a timely manner.
- Works with business users and other IT staff to perform and coordinate the planning, testing, and implementation of database and application upgrades as needed.
- Maintains skills consistent with current programming and database technology.
- Keeps abreast of current technologies and reviews functionality of software applications and tools for applicability to support legal work and technology initiatives within the Firm. Makes recommendations concerning software applications and tools to support same.
- Performs other duties as assigned.