Public Relations Manager
Public Relations Manager – New York
The Public Relations (PR) Manager will be responsible for overseeing the firm’s PR program to further increase the visibility of the firm, key practices and individuals by leveraging the expertise of attorneys throughout the firm through media coverage and other thought leadership. The position is based in Boston, New York or Washington, D.C.; however, it includes interaction with staff and attorneys across all of the firm’s offices, as well as with outside vendors. This role reports to the Director of PR.
- Interface with marketing and business development professionals and attorneys to develop story ideas, identify hot issues and trends and other newsworthy items on an ongoing basis as a means of developing content.
- Monitor news outlets for topics relevant to the firm’s practices and identify opportunities for commentary.
- Draft, distribute and follow-up on pitches, press releases, byline article abstracts, and more.
- Provide editorial guidance (word count, outlet, etc.) and place byline articles, including via the republication of existing thought leadership content.
- Leverage existing media relationships and develop new contacts within key business, trade, and legal press.
- Provide direction to the external PR agency.
- Prepare attorneys for media interviews and backgrounders, including developing detailed briefings and messaging points, conducting media training, as well as staffing. Field/vet reporter queries, including supervising the conflict process.
- Contribute to crisis communications strategy and execution as needed.
- Assist with developing and implementing a PR plan including goals, tactics, and budget.
- Maintain the firm’s accolades database.
- Coordinate and draft attorney nominations for third-party recognition opportunities.
- Distribute media clips to attorneys and marketing and business development colleagues, where appropriate.
- Oversee the maintenance of media contact lists, including the use of media monitoring platform.
- Distribute regular internal communication regarding media coverage highlights.
- Manage effective media tracking and prepare thoughtful analysis for firm management.
- Keep apprised of best practices for PR generally and within the legal industry and provide recommendations for improvement/enhancement.
- Some travel to other offices may be required. Assume additional responsibilities as requested. This role requires 60% in office presence; remote work is permissible 40% of the time.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or Journalism preferred.
- 7+ years related work experience in communications with an emphasis in PR, preferably in a law firm, professional services, or agency environment.
- Experience in identifying, developing and executing PR content with a strong sense of what will be of interest to reporters and editors and will generate impactful coverage. Existing media relationships with both local and national business, trade, and legal outlets and demonstrated ability to cultivate new relationships.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms with emphasis on application to the business environment.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to influence others.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment, prioritize multiple projects on a daily basis, and adjust to shifting priorities.
- Strong planning, project management, proofreading, and organizational skills. Strong sense of urgency and a high-energy level. Facility analyzing, working with and presenting data.
- Ability to collaborate and gain the respect, trust, and confidence of the Firm’s attorneys and professional staff.
- Possess a “hands-on” tactical approach.
- Creative and proactive approach to problem solving.
- Facilitate teamwork and identify opportunities to develop new processes/infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp and implement new concepts quickly.
- Strong analytical abilities, resourcefulness, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with a proactive and positive style that fosters collaborative working relationships.
- Outstanding sense of customer service, with demonstrated ability to instill this in others.
- Deep personal commitment to integrity, excellent judgment, and the highest standards of ethics.
- Must display the highest level of diplomacy, tact and discretion, with comfort in handling and maintaining confidential information.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed and master new applications and software is critical. Familiarity with Meltwater a plus.
The salary range for this position in NY is $130,000 to $150,000. This position is bonus eligible. They offer a comprehensive benefits package. This job description is a general description of the types of responsibilities that are required of an individual in this job. It is not intended to be a complete list of the responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required for this job.