Practice Manager – Employment Section
Practice Manager – Boston, New York
The Practice Manager, Employment Section will work closely with the Director of Practice Management and the Section Chairs for the Employment Section and other Sections as needed to manage key aspects of those practices, including serving as the point person when collaborating with other administrative departments on operational and strategic matters.
This position can be located in Boston or New York.
- Partner with Section Chairs to lead the operational and strategic aspects of the Sections and serve as a resource for connectivity among other Sections and administrative personnel.
- Facilitate identification of Section management objectives and develop and implement strategies to accomplish goals.
- Oversee Section budgets, including reviewing, approving and monitoring spending throughout the year.
- Collaborate with Section Chairs and Business Development on business planning processes, marketing initiatives, and presentations for Member Retreats and Section Meetings.
- Plan and facilitate Section meetings, including identifying agenda items and cultivating content.
- Coordinate with Attorney Development, DEI, Finance, Information Governance, Legal Recruiting, Marketing, and Research Services Departments to optimize organization, best practices, and resource utilization.
- Plan and coordinate various Section events to promote group cohesiveness and recognize accomplishments.
- Remain current on Employment law developments; schedule alerts, blogs and advisories.
- Other Section specific responsibilities as requested.
- Business Intelligence
- Prepare reporting and analytics to build business intelligence that informs Sections and Firm leadership on trends related to Section management, including talent management, financial performance, and knowledge management.
- Collaborate with Section Chairs and relevant administrative teams to identify actionable issues and plans arising out of metrics analysis with the goal of facilitating related efforts to support and advance Section initiatives, business goals, and section capabilities.
- Support knowledge management initiatives.
- Work Allocation/Staffing Needs
- Manage allocation of assignments for Section attorneys.
- Analyze and oversee metrics to measure and monitor allocation of work.
- Identify areas for improvement with existing workflow processes and SOPs.
- Work with attorneys to optimize attorney utilization and support attorney development.
- Professional Development
- Be a resource for associates regarding day-to-day questions.
- Conduct quarterly check-ins with Associates.
- Work with Attorney Development to monitor attorney performance, identify development gaps, and escalate as needed issues for review by Section Chairs.
- Participate in the Associate Evaluation Process, including reading feedback, drafting composites for Associates, and participate in mid-year check-ins and year-end evaluation meetings.
- Participate in membership elevation process and provide analysis and support for Section Management during elevation process.
- Facilitate Section meetings/training sessions related to professional development topics in coordination with Attorney Development.
- Identify and facilitate external professional development opportunities (i.e., conferences, Bar offerings, etc.) for the Section.
- Recruiting and Human Resources
- Identify and assess hiring needs; make hiring recommendations to Section Chairs.
- Participate in interview process for associates, as requested.
- Coordinate with Attorney Development to facilitate orienting and integrating new attorneys joining the Section.
- Coordinate with Attorney Development to manage attorneys on/off-ramping for leaves of absence, including managing staffing needs.
- Coordinate with Attorney Development and other departments as needed to oversee attorney departures and client transfers.
- Team Management
- Work with Practice Manager peers in other Sections and the Director of Practice Management to develop best in class practices, tools, and processes to streamline and promote efficiencies across the Practice Management team.
- Together with other Practice Managers who also work with the Practice Coordinator supporting the Section Practice Management team, manage workload and professional development of the Practice Coordinator through coaching, mentoring, delegation, and supervision.
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested
- This role requires 60% in office presence; remote work is permissible 40% of the time.
- Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a large law firm—a portion of which should be working in practice management, professional development, and/or human resources.
- Strong analytical abilities, project management, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
- Ability to collaborate and gain the respect, trust, and confidence of the Firm’s attorneys and professional staff.
- Facility analyzing, working with, and presenting data.
- Possess a creative, proactive, and “hands-on” approach to problem solving.
- Facilitate teamwork and identify opportunities to develop new processes/infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp and implement new concepts quickly.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a way that fosters collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and tasks including demonstrating delegation and organizational skills.
- Outstanding sense of customer service, with demonstrated ability to instill this in others.
- Strong leadership and management abilities.
- Deep personal commitment to integrity, excellent judgment, and the highest standards of ethics.
- Must display the highest level of diplomacy, tact and discretion, with comfort in handling and maintaining confidential information.
- Experience in employee relations, performance improvement, and separations.
- Understanding of law firm economics.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
The salary range for this position in NY is $150,000 to $170,000. This position is bonus eligible. They offer a comprehensive benefits package.