Essential Job Functions
The Litigation Paralegal I support case teams in all phases of the litigation practice, from pre-complaint to trial and appeal. The Litigation Paralegal I will be responsible for organizing and managing electronic and hard copy document collections. Legal and factual cite checking. Trial preparation and attendance. Prioritize and manage multiple cases/projects. Team oriented with a collaborative focus mentoring junior paralegals.
Essential Functions: (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary.)
I. Manages document production processes
- Assists with the collection of material from client, opposing parties, and third parties (hard copies, electronic data, physical evidence)
- Maintains chain of custody
- Manages logistics of production of documents – hard copy, images, native
II. Substantive Research
- Analyzes documents and materials
- Researches rules of procedure for relevant court venues
III. Coordinates preparation and filing of briefs and legal documents
- Drafts routine filings (e.g. attorney appearances, notices of filings, notices of motions)
- Checks legal cites for proper format, content and accuracy (Westlaw, Lexis; Blue Book)
- Compiles appendices and exhibits
- Manages service of process; files with court and serves on parties; coordinates with local counsel
IV. Manages trial and hearing preparation and support
- Compiles and tracks trial exhibits
- Prepares pretrial documents
- Manages trial transcripts
Other Functions: (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented and changed as necessary. Delete if not applicable.)
- Any other functions/duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Work Experience, Skills:
The ideal candidate will possess 3-5 years of experience focusing on complex litigation cases, including managing large discovery, preparing for trial, and managing trial support. Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity, initiative and ability to work in a team environment. Bachelor’s degree required. Flexibility to accommodate for travel and overtime is required. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds is required.
MS Office proficiency including Excel and DMS management required. Intermediate experience relating to Relativity; TextMap, Westlaw;
Electronic filing and Pacer Pro proficiency required.
The expected salary range for this position is between $65,000 and $100,000. The actual base salary offered will depend upon a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.