Los Angeles CA
Litigation and Transactional Legal Secretary
- Provide secretarial support to attorneys including: creating, editing, revising, redlining, and/or proofreading documents from dictation, handwritten, typed and/or electronic copy.
- Prepare/file paper and electronic documents with courts and agencies ensuring appropriate and relevant court procedures are followed and deadlines are met.
- Facilitate the calendaring/docketing of court and discovery deadlines and other important dates in conjunction with the docketing department.
- Coordinate logistics of depositions, mediations, arbitrations and/or trials (i.e. venue location, court reporter/videographer, etc.).
- Process and route incoming/outgoing mail, faxes, and electronic communications.
- Prepare new client/matter intake forms and engagement letters liaising with conflicts department as needed.
- Process and monitor expense reports/reimbursements, vendor bills, and check requests.
- Support the billing process: assisting attorneys with entering, proofreading and releasing time entries and coordinating with the billing team on the mailing of invoices.
- Assist with managing the calendars of assigned attorneys: coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, and arranging food orders.
- Maintain administrative and client files in electronic and paper format adhering to the Firm’s information governance policies and procedures.
- Support other legal support services department projects and initiatives including providing back-up support to other legal secretaries as needed.
Experience & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, or equivalent, required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of legal transactional/litigation experience required; experience supporting litigation attorneys required.
- Familiarity with and strong working knowledge of legal terminology, legal and court proceedings including State and Federal court filing processes/systems.
- Extensive experience in formatting pleadings and briefs, table of contents, table of authorities and styles.
- Experience supporting multiple attorneys simultaneously.
- Strong time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize work, and communicate workload challenges to attorneys and/or administrative manager.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and various legal software applications (i.e. iManage, Litera ChangePro, ChromeRiver, etc.)
- Experience with timekeeping/billing software; experience with Aderant preferred.
- Superior communication and engagement skills, including the ability to interact credibly and diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the Firm including clients.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a collaborative organization and to create consensus-based support for strategies and processes.
- Exceptional organizational, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills to support heavy administrative responsibilities.
- Ability to act as back-up to other team members to support additional attorneys when necessary
- Type a minimum of 60+ WPM.