Information Technology Technical Writer
IT Technical Writer
Summary: The IT Technical Writer is a subject matter expert responsible for contributing to the buildout and ongoing enhancement of IT’s knowledge base. This position will take the lead on creating and maintaining technical documentation, with the primary objective of driving consistency, efficiency, and effectiveness for IT’s global tiered support teams. The IT Technical writer will partner closely with other IT Service Management and cross-functional IT leads to identify areas of need, working with engineers and support technicians as needed to formalize institutional knowledge into documentation that is continuously maintained and improved for ongoing troubleshooting and support. This position will play a key role in supporting the ongoing buildout and maturation of IT Service Management (ITSM) processes, with the ultimate objective of promoting a high-quality frontend IT service for the firm’s lawyers and staff.
Qualifications: Education & Credentials
- College degree is strongly preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, English, or a related technical field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred.
- Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
- Demonstrated experience with tiered IT support models (L1/L2/L3) and the associated processes, standards, and documentation necessary to facilitate effectiveness across service teams.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional IT teams and levels (e.g., IT leadership, IT support, IT engineering).
- Demonstrated experience translating institutional knowledge into formal knowledge base documentation that is digestible, shareable, and effective.
- Experience defining a mechanism identify documentation gaps / needs and track the effectiveness of existing technical documentation to inform continuous improvement.
- Experience with common enterprise service desk technology solutions and capabilities for technical documentation (e.g., ServiceNow). Skills & Expectations
- Strong service orientation, and an understanding of the importance of developing effective working relationships with users and organizational stakeholders of all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a change agent, leading and inspiring others to act, especially under circumstances when change is unpopular.
- Highly motivated, analytical, organized, and efficient.
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the buildout of IT’s knowledge base articles (KBAs), technical documentation, and other documents with focus on driving effectiveness of the technical IT support staff.
- Contributes to technical writing needs of the IT organization as needed, including but not limited to – new product / solution deployment, system documentation, end-user documentation, and requirement definition.
- Provides technical writing support for the buildout of the IT Service Management framework and governance in partnership with the Service Management leadership, inclusive of incident management processes, problem management routines, technical change management processes, IT asset management, knowledge management, service request management, and the planning and controlling of configuration items (CIs) and their interrelationships.
- Actively partners with system and solution owners to identify needs for technical documentation, working with cross-functional support and engineering leads as needed for supporting detail.
- Analyzes IT Service Management data (e.g., ticketing data) to understand themes / areas of need and identify opportunities for improvement, particularly through the enhancement of knowledge articles.
- Defines, tracks, and communicates meaningful metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of technical documentation.
- Champions the incident ticket lifecycle from the vantage point of end-users to enrich support articles.
- Works with the Service Management leadership and other solution / service owners to evaluate adoption of technical support documentation, formulating creative approaches to enhance effectiveness.
- Supports root cause analysis activities as needed to formalize technical activities and findings in a concise manner suitable for IT and Firm leadership.
- Informs the strategic design of the firm’s Service Management technology systems and solutions, partners with IT solution teams and 3rd party providers as needed to apply and maintain features.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and best practices relative to technical writing and IT Knowledge Management, cultivates and disseminates knowledge across IT teams.
- Manages risks and issues that may affect IT services and end-user productivity.
- Contributes to the ongoing budget required for achieving established strategic objectives.