Conflicts Staff Attorney
Conflicts Staff Attorney
Our client is seeking a Conflicts Staff Attorney to join the Business Intake & Conflicts team.
Position summary: The business intake and conflicts function is essential to the firm’s (1) compliance with (a) ethical obligations prevailing in jurisdictions in which the firm maintains offices and in which it practices and (b) the firm’s Risk Management policies and procedures, (2) avoidance of malpractice claims and ethical violations, and (3) ability to onboard new business, in the form of new clients and new matters for existing clients, new timekeepers and new employees in a timely fashion.
Working closely with the Director of Business Intake and Conflicts, the Conflicts Staff Attorney will be responsible for assuring compliance with applicable Rules of Professional Conduct and assisting and managing other loss prevention functions. The Conflicts Staff Attorney is a staff attorney who understands the rules that govern legal practice and can perform practical processes to ensure compliance with those rules. The Conflicts Staff Attorney does not practice law for any client other than the firm and maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the American Bar Association (ABA) Model Rules of Professional Conduct as adopted in each state in which the firm maintains an office, and jurisdictional differences in all states, countries and practice areas in which the firm conducts business
- Monitors ABA and jurisdictional rules for changes. Suggests modifications in firm policy to the Director of BIC for approval
- Analyze and resolve conflicts of interest related to new business and new hires
- Effectively work with Managers, Directors, Conflict Analysts and firm attorneys to obtain the relevant information to make determinations on conflict issues
- Draft and review ethical screens, conflict waivers and risk management engagement letter provisions
- Review and analyze client-imposed engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines to which the firm is asked to agree by clients and prospective clients
- Conduct research projects as assigned relating to conflicts of interest issues
- Conduct advanced level research projects on corporate affiliations and corporate relatedness
Skills and experience:
- 3+ years of conflicts resolution experience or 5+ years as a practicing attorney, preferably with a large law firm
- JD degree
- Active member in good standing of any state bar, preferably, California, D.C., New York or other applicable jurisdiction
- Legal ethics and conflicts experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time
- Ability to work well in a team environment and with diverse groups across all of the firm’s offices
- Well organized and efficient
- Commitment to consistently high-quality work product
The firm offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package and is committed to fair and equitable employment practices. EOE.
The expected annual pay range for this position is $135,000 – $190,000. Please note that final offer amount will be dependent on geographic location, applicable experience and skillset of the candidate.
They offer a full range of elective benefits including medical, health savings account (with applicable medical plan), dental, vision, health and/or dependent care flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits, life insurance, AD&D, long-term care coverage, backup care for children and/or adults and other parental support benefits. In addition to elective benefit options, benefited employees receive firm-paid life insurance, AD&D, LTD, short term medical benefits as well as 21 days of Paid Time Off (“PTO”) and 10 paid holidays each year. They provide generous parental leave and fertility benefits. New employees will attend a detailed benefit orientation to learn more about our many benefits and resources.