Our client has an opening for a Compensation Manager in the Washington, DC office. The Compensation Manager will lead critical and impactful compensation initiatives and projects regarding the nonexempt and exempt staff salary ranges for compliance with all existing and new pay transparency laws/regulations.
Additionally, the Manager will work closely with the CHRO and other HR team members regarding our Affirmative Action Plans as it relates to pay equity and compensation structure. This dynamic role will require someone to move from big picture thinking to design to the operational delivery of compensation structure for all professional staff positions. The Manager will create strategies that will foster best practices.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Delivering strategic compensation guidance regarding professional staff salaries aligned with the firm’s strategy, mission, and law firm industry market.
- Leading the compensation analysis and market pricing of roles for a competitive pay structure while adjusting as needed for market trends, internal equity, and engagement.
- Providing a consultative and collaborative relationship with the CHRO, other HR colleagues, and Chiefs at the firm regarding understanding and delivering compensation programs for recruiting, job offers and maintaining pay equity.
- Maintaining overall compensation programs and systems and ensuring compliance with federal, state, or local laws and regulations which include pay transparency in various jurisdiction.
- Creating and implementing best practices and optimizing and evolving our compensation programs.
- Supporting business priorities, operational goals, values, and culture by contributing to the design and development of the firm’s compensation programs, including job architecture and pay structure design.
- Analyzing trends, researching best practices, monitoring economic conditions, maintaining awareness of changes in law firm strategy and making recommendations for program revisions and development.
- Participating in the development of compensation communications to ensure that leaders and managers have the right level of knowledge and ensuring communications are well planned and effectively implemented.
- Facilitating the development, implementation, and maintenance of compensation processes, tools, and systems.
- Developing, implementing, revising, and maintaining compensation-related policies and procedures that incorporate analysis of law firm compensation programs, wage and hour regulations, and competitive pay practices in order to comply with legal requirements and to attract, retain, and motivate employees.
- Assisting in reviewing, maintaining, and updating law firm job descriptions for professional staff positions in concert with the Director for Support Staff and Director of HR and oversight from the CHRO.
- Establishing FLSA status, classification, EEO codes and job codes. Reviewing and proposing resolution on classification questions and FLSA exemptions and recommending compensation adjustments according to findings.
- Four-year college degree in Human Resources or business-related degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ compensation analysis experience planning, designing, implementing compensation structures for a large, multi-location employer, preferably in a professional services organization.
- Experience with job architecture and equity analysis.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software. Advanced Excel skills with macros, pivot tables, etc is necessary and strong knowledge of HRIS Systems such as UKG/UltiPro or similar systems.
- Strong understanding of state and federal laws and regulations as they apply to compensation programs and pay transparency laws/regulations.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of compensation administration.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with internal and external stakeholders of all levels.
- Able to maintain data integrity through attention to detail and accuracy, prioritize and meet deadlines as well as process, manipulate, and summarize reports.
- Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to demonstrate strategic focus.
- Possess exceptional judgement and professionalism.
- Ability to define goals and follow though to achieve results.
- Strong problem-solving skills, excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills, including independent judgment and decision-making.