General Statement of Duties:
Our client is looking for a Communications Specialist to be based in its Chicago, Dallas, or Houston office to drive media relations and other public relations initiatives, including content development and other day-to-day communications activities. The position’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- On a daily basis, proactively identify and secure media opportunities for the lawyers with regional, national and trade outlets; actively develop and maintain relationships with media contacts and manage media list
- Write content for press releases, media pitches, the Firm’s website, external newsletters, deal and award submissions, social media postings and other materials as assigned
- Track media coverage and help promote positive publicity externally and internally
- Assist in the management, drafting and submission of responses to media-related firm surveys and award nominations
- Support internal communications campaigns geared to engage personnel and drive the Firm’s culture
- Work closely and collaboratively with members of the Firm’s Marketing and Business Development team in a range of initiatives geared to further elevate the Firm’s lawyers, practice groups and brand
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree is required, with a specialization in communications, journalism, or an equivalent field
- Minimum 3-4 years of PR or Communications experience, with a strong emphasis on media relations and a demonstrated ability to effectively engage with reporters and editors on a proactive and reactive basis
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with proficiency in AP Style
- Experience in professional services industry or public relations agency preferred
- Strong computer and word processing skills are required; Advanced in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel software as well as the ability to learn software
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and to perform in a fast-paced environment, meeting frequent deadlines
- Flexibility to adapt to quickly changing priorities
- The Communications Specialist will report to the Sr. Communications Manager
Supervisory Responsibility – This position does not have any direct reports.
Work Environment – This position operates in a professional office environment.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours – This is a full-time exempt position. Days of work are Monday through Friday. Overtime may be required as job duties demand.
Travel – Little to no travel is expected for this position.